7.06.2006

jack o'lantern mushrooms (Omphalotus olearius)

We spotted this clump of mushrooms on the side of the Long Hungry Ridge Trail at the base of an overturned, dead tree. We were on our way back down from Grayson Bald and the caps had a nice sheen from the recent rain.

Called "jack o'lanterns", they glow in the dark. Similar in appearance to Chanterelles, they are sometimes mistaken as edible mushrooms, but are in fact very poisonous, an "enemy to intestines everywhere."

1 comment:

Mushy said...

Beautiful shot my friend.

About Me

My photo
This blog is a work in progress. An ardent perambulator and nature enthusiast; I take pictures of what I see and post them here occasionally.

Followers